-

Érablière dans la Forêt Larose | Sugar Bush near Lemieux

Posted on 14th April 2015 by monlimoges in Larose Forest,Limoges & Forest

Forêt LaroseThe United Counties of Prescott-Russell have announced the addition of a sugar bush in Larose Forest near the old village of Lemieux. It is the “first municipality-owned sugar bush across the province of Ontario.”

Le texte français suit le texte anglais

The sugar bush is the result of a 15-year agreement between UCPR, managers of Larose Forest, and Jean-Marc Levac, owner of Levac Propane. As explained on the UCPR website, “a total of 8,400 notches were cut for the collection of maple sap on a 50-hectare property located within Larose Forest.”

“Mr. Levac approached us with the concept and we liked it,” explained Louis Prévost, Director of Planning and Forestry with the UCPR. “We subsequently conducted a complete inventory of the woodlot as well as a small cut in order to optimize the terrain. Once that cut was complete, we conducted another inventory to identify all the maple trees with the potential for harvesting.”

Said Robert Kirby, Warden of UCPR, “A partnership like this, between our majestic Larose Forest and a local entrepreneur, is precisely what we look for in terms of regional economic development. For example, Mr. Levac provides his syrup to several sugar shacks and businesses across the region (after which) it was also he who supplied the sap to Cassel Brewery in 2013 for its maple beer, which then won the Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence!”

In our region, Larose Forest is a 27,000-acre forest that features hardwoods, conifers (including red pine, white pine, and spruce), wetlands, and streams. It is noted as the second-largest planted forest in southern Ontario, a project initiated by Mr. Ferdinand Larose and local farmers in 1928. Today, the forest is managed by the United Counties of Prescott and Russell, spanning four Ontario municipalities (Russell, The Nation, Alfred-Plantagenet, and Clarence-Rockland) just east of the nation’s capital city of Ottawa.


Ce printemps 2015, les Comtés unis de Prescott et Russell lance “la toute première érablière dans le domaine municipal à travers la province de l’Ontario.” Il y aura “un total de 8 400 entailles ont été installées sur une propriété de 50 hectares dans la Forêt Larose pour faire la collecte de l’eau d’érable.”

« M. Levac nous a proposé le concept et nous l’avons aimé », raconte Louis Prévost, directeur de l’Urbanisme et de la foresterie des CUPR. « Nous avons par la suite effectué un inventaire complet du boisé et effectué une coupe de bois pour optimiser la parcelle. Une fois la coupe terminée, nous avons effectué un autre inventaire afin d’identifier tous les érables avec un potentiel de récolte. »

« Un partenariat comme celui-ci, entre notre majestueuse Forêt Larose et un entrepreneur local, est précisément ce que nous visons en terme de développement économique régional », exprime le président. « Par exemple, M. Levac fournit en sirop plusieurs cabanes à sucre et commerçants à travers la région, et c’est également lui qui a fourni l’eau d’érable à Cassel Brewery en 2013 pour leur bière d’érable, gagnante du Prix de la première ministre pour l’excellence en innovation agroalimentaire! »

La forêt Larose est une forêt de 27 000 hectares qui a été relancée en 1928 par M. Ferdinand Larose. Elle est la deuxième plus grande forêt plantée de mains d’homme dans le sud de l’Ontario. La forêt est gérée par les Comtés unis de Prescott et Russell.